Sunday, June 7, 2009

Thing 29: Google Tools

In this thing, I explored some of the Google Tools I hadn't used yet.
I started by taking a look at the SearchWiki feature in Google.

Since I have been using Diigo for bookmarking, I wasn't sure if I would ever use some of these features, like favoriting. If I like a site, I'm not going to search for it each time, I'll just bookmark it and go there. For those that want to always exist in Google, perhaps that would be a good option...I tend to agree with Michael Arrington's assessment, that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. At the same time, if a company stagnates, they will lose out to the latest and greatest...

One option I have liked recently is the addition of "More Options" on Google searches. This allows you to see related searches, videos, forums, trends, and something new, "The Wonder Wheel!"

I searched for Barack Obama to see what the Wonder Wheel would give me...Here is the result:


I think it's interesting that John Edwards showed up along with Hillary Clinton. The fact that the word "president" didn't show up but "muslim" did is telling, though perhaps it's due to the speech he gave on Friday, and not certain people's perception of his religious affiliation!


blog comments powered by Disqus